Monday, December 20, 2021

The Big Snowbird Adventure Begins

The anticipation of getting on the road at this time of the year has been killing us. You make plans, get your gear ready, and then wait for your departure date. Once you are ready, the day to hit the road takes forever to come. This time of year does not help the situation at all. Weather is continually changing, and not for the best. Each time a new front moves in and passes through you look into the next week and hope to see a break in the pattern that is favorable to your upcoming travel plans. All you can do is cross your fingers and hope you catch a window of clear roads and favorable driving conditions.

Thus we waited!

Two days prior to our Thursday date of departure, Linda looked at the projected weather patterns coming off the Pacific and made a decision to move our exit up 24 hours. There was a short window of fair weather on Tuesday and Wednesday, then a big front would move in by 5:00 PM Wednesday evening. What this did was compress the time we had to pack the final items into the camper, while still celebrating Linda’s mom’s birthday, Tuesday, going to doctor appointments, and visiting friends to celebrate Christmas. Our schedule was packed and this really put pressure on us.

Tuesday I thought things were all on track. I was out moving the camper and getting it plugged in so that we could pack the refrigerator. Linda came out with a hand full of mail and told me we had a bit of a problem. Our truck license plates needed to be renewed. They were set to expire come January. Usually, we just send in the registration with our check and they come in the mail in late December. If I followed that method we would be driving on expired plates which wouldn’t be good. I looked at the time and it was 3:20 PM, so I jumped into the Jeep and went to the licensing office. It was packed! I took a number and waited. There was nothing I could do, we need those tags today or we were up a creek. So I sat, thinking of everything I could be doing, cussing to myself, as my anxiety grew. My name finally came up and I purchased the tags. There was a three percent service charge because all I had was my credit card, adding salt to the wounds.

Wednesday Linda had an appointment in the morning and needed to have a final visit with her mother. I did the final packing of gear and then closed the camper. Hooking up the Jeep was easy and everything connected properly. Lights worked when connected and tested. The new Jeep travel break system fired up and signaled things were in good shape. All I could do was keep busy until Linda returned and we could jet out of Post Falls.


As soon as Linda arrived we did our final duties, walked next door and hugged our neighbors, who are taking care of the house, and loaded in Canyonwren (our camper). At 1:30 PM we drove away, starting our three-month adventure into the warm and dry southwest.


We drove through Ritzville and pointed south to the Tri-Cities. The roads were great and we followed the setting sun to Kennewick where we fueled up and used the restrooms. From there we drove on Hwy. 82 connecting to Hwy. 84. At the bridge over the Columbia River, the weather changed to snow sleet, but it was not sticking to the road surface. Pushing on we kept with the flow of traffic until we came to the town of Rufus where we exited and followed the iOverlander App's directions to a US Army Corps of Engineers spot where we could boondock for the night.


This first boondocking spot was great for us because we were so very tired that the highway noise and the million different trains didn't bother us much. We slept like a couple of logs.


When we awoke, the weather was improved.


The drive from Rufus to Eugene was pretty much uneventful. We traveled in rain most of the way along I-5 and traffic was not too bad. We arrived at the Sollinger's at 1:00 PM and dropped the Jeep before backing into our usual spot.


As we were approaching Eugene, I sent a message to one of my friends from when I worked at NIC. Kirk Koenig was the admissions person (I can't remember his exact title) at the college when I worked there. He shot me a note back and we decided to have lunch on Friday at noon in the heart of Eugene. We ate wet burritos at Nelson's Taqueria while sitting in the sun. It was great to visit and catch up on our lives!


Friday night we were invited to attend Diana's office party at the home of her boss, Sarah Bennett, of the Bennett company. Diana presented me with a new hat that has Bennett stitched on the front, so Al Dee and I wore twin hats to the event. The Bennett home is beautiful! It sits on the thirteenth hole of a golf course and has been remodeled impeccably. Chris, Sarah's husband, gave us a tour of the place and told us of all the changes they made. After the tour, we sat around and ate great finger foods until we were stuffed. It was rather funny because every time I was introduced to someone they had a weird look on their face because I was a Bennett. In fact, Sarah's sister-in-law thought she knew me, and when I said I was a Bennett she was totally confused. We laughed a lot about that one.


Our group exited the party rather early. This gave us time to go home and play a game. Let me tell you something, I am the worst game player in the world. I am so bad that everyone had to work their tails off to let me win. It was great fun and we laughed till we cried.


Saturday morning Linda and I watched the Gonzaga Basketball Team play Texas Tech in Phoenix. The Zags won and that made our day.


I had to work on the camper a bit. The water system in it needed to be started up. During the cold fall, I had cleared all the water lines of their contents and now that we were heading to warmer climates I needed to fill the tank and make sure everything was in working order. To do this I needed to get a second water hose. Ours was about ten feet too short to reach Al Dee's water spigot. Al Dee and I jumped in his sports car and drove to Camping World where we purchased a hose. 


Upon returning I filled the water tank and turned on the pump. Water ran freely into the hot water heater, out into the toilet and the bathroom sink, The kitchen sink was a different story. Nothing came out! Not a drip. I checked all pipes, valves, and connections. Nothing was leaking or looked cracked or broken. I checked the new Sea Flow Accumulator and it was working correctly.


Under the sink, I disconnected the water intake from the faucet. In doing so water started running out on the towels I had placed to catch spills. My reaction was to put the hose into my mouth to catch and control the flow. As I sucked the water, a bunch of tiny plastic shavings gathered in my mouth. I spit them into the garbage and then blew air back up through the faucet. Once I did that I tightened everything back together and tried the water in the sink. It worked! The only thing I can think happened is that when I winterized the lines the air dislodged the plastic shavings from somewhere in the pipes and they clogged the lines at the faucet.


For dinner, we ordered Papa Murphy's pizza. Afterward, we piled into Sollinger's car and drove around looking at Christmas lights. Eugene has some pretty spectacular light arrangements.


Our exit the next morning from the Sollinger household wasn't as smooth as we wanted.  The family loaded up and headed for church and Linda and I got to work hooking the Jeep up to the truck. All went well until I tried to connect the umbilical cord. One of the pins was bent so a usually quick hook-up turned into a fifteen-minute fight.  All this took place in a torrential downpour.  Once again we prevailed and this soggy duo climbed into our seats and set off for our next adventure.

No comments: