Wednesday, September 01, 2021

A Good Getaway

 Back in May of this year, Linda jumped online and found that there were very few open camp spots available up the St. Joe in the Huckleberry campground. She looked at our calendar and noted that we would be returning from river trips, but there was a mid-week where we could squeeze a camp out into the timeline.

Between May and the present, many things have changed, forest fires are everywhere and the super hot weather makes going camping a true “Roll of the Dice.” Our river trips did not work out and we were unable to get on the water. Camping looked to be our only possibility to get away from our duties around home.


On Monday, with everything loaded, we left home for the mid-week getaway. Linda needed to be able to return to Cd’A quickly, if something happened with her parents, so she drove the Kia while I followed in the camper. 


Darren and Marcy Upchurch were also camping up at Huckleberry this week so we rendezvous with them when we arrived. 


Tuesday morning I got up and took a bike ride up Spring Creek road which splits off the St. Joe River Road just upriver from the campground. The road is very well maintained and has a good riding surface. The major problem is that it gains elevation very quickly. Elevation gain is no longer a problem for me on my Trek. I put it in “sport” mode and spin my way up to the ridge tops. It is tiring, but it does not wind me like riding without the assist would do. 


View from the ridge above the campground.
Spring Creek Road connects to many other logging roads and at the top of one prominent ridge, it connects with Huckleberry Mountain Road. I took this side road and followed it as it descended back down to our campsite.  The total mileage on this ride was about ten miles, and that was about my limit for that up and downhill adventure.


The next day we drove to the Lines Creek Historical Trail and hiked the loop. We have hiked this trail before, but we were able to get off track and ended up hiking much longer than needed. It was a fun hike on a very nice day.


Back in camp, I took another bike ride. I rode upriver to the green bridge and crossed over. Then I road back downriver to just across from our camp spot. The ride was about six miles.


Looking downriver from Spring Creek road.





Beaver cuts.








No comments: