Saturday, March 16, 2019

Skimboarding Still a Mystery

We had a chance to watch Melaque's big skimboard contest today. This is the big one of the year and is held the last few days during the celebration in San Patricio. We were not in Melaque last year for the competition, but the two years prior we gathered with the crowd and watched.

With three years as a spectator under our belt, I can say with utmost confidence that I still have no clue to what is going on at this competition.

Yes, I see the borders run down the sand and toss their board out in front of themselves. With great agility, they land on the board and skim across the sand and climb onto the incoming wave. Then they either swoop up and down the wave, flip the board under their feet, or shoot high into the air while grabbing the board in one hand.

When this is completed, the crowd applauds, fellow boarders pound on their boards and there is general ruckus acknowledging the trick. Somewhere under a RedBull Tent, the judges tally a score and the event continues.

This takes place over and over throughout the three days and we know nothing about the sport. It is fun to watch, I get some great photos, but if you were to ask me anything about what I witnessed I would probably look at you blankly and shake my head.

1 comment:

ROCKY said...

Water sports Malta Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.