Friday, March 21, 2008

Catching Ya Up!

Have not posted in a while so here is where we are with our upcoming trip and our lives in general. Two weekends ago I received a call from a former ASNIC President, Josh Gittel. Josh is at the U of I and at the same time is getting a crew together for his summer job of home security system installation. He forms a team of twenty hungry college students and then trains them to install home systems that have been sold by a team of hungry college student sale man types.

The reason Josh called me was that he and I were talking about his summer job and I mentioned that we had home security system installed in our house. It is an old one, over 20 years old, and Josh said that it would make a super training site for his installation team.

Well, at the time I said that if he ever wanted to do training at our house he could, but I didn't want to have to pay for an on going service. The on going service is the way his company makes their profit. The installation is nothing in the big picture. So Josh said that if we allowed him to install and train at our house, our system would be free, and he would set it to be a local alarm system only. This means that the system sets off a bunch of alarms in the house, and calls 911 only. It does not go though their security system and their company will not be monitoring the alarm. I have talked with our neighbor and he will be my main man if the system goes off while we are out. He has the reset on the alarm. So if it goes off and he is around then we are ok.

The installation took place last weekend and now we are up and running. I haven't accidentally set the thing off yet so I have that to look forward to.

Several posts back I wrote about us looking at a new camper, a Snow River, at the RV show in Spokane. Now, we don't need a new camper, it is a want thing. The new camper has everything Linda wants in a camper, more room (it has a slide), good storage space and a great interior. It has everything I want in a camper on the technical side, great power system, well thought out water and waist storage system, great electrical systems and a flat screen TV (grin). At the show we did some dealing but walked away. As I said before they didn't set the hook.

Over the past two weeks we have been dealing with a sales man on the same camper. I have specifically made all correspondence go on via email, so that I have proof of what has been said and so that I don't have to travel over to Spokane all the time. I used the old "gas is to expensive" line and so I have put myself in a position where he can't play on my emotions.

At this point it has been and ok process. I have a deadline of tomorrow for them to except our offer. If they don't, we load up and go on our vacation in the Northern Lite. Since this is a want and not a need, we can wait a long time if necessary. I'll post about the experience in the next week or so.

Our spring break trip is coming up and we will be traveling and posting when ever possible. It will probably work the same as last year where we post once in the town of Escalate, but if I can't do that it will be when I get home. I am in contact with students to watch our house so I imagine there might be our first home security system test while were away.

No comments: