Wednesday, July 04, 2012

I Admit It, What A Kick!


About a week ago I received a letter from the North Idaho College Alumni Association.  I opened it and quickly read through the paragraphs.  Much to my surprise the letter was sent to inform me that I had been selected as the NIC Alumnus of The Year!  I was flattered and ran directly to Linda to show her the good news.  In the letter it invited Linda and I to help celebrate the 4th of July by riding in a convertible car in the 4th of July parade. 
  
Our usual 4th consists of staying out of the crowds and basically keeping our heads down. Kobi is not a fan of this holiday and because of his strange aversion to anything that makes noise: Whistling Pete’s, M80’s, firecrackers, doors slamming, broom handles hitting the floor, paper falling off the chair or practically anything that makes an unexpected movement. Yes he is a bit jumpy therefore we tend to stay home.
I looked at Linda and we both said “why not”, it’s an incredible honor and maybe it will be fun too.
On Monday we got an email with all the information concerning our participation.  By this time I was a little less anxious to participate but by then we were committed.  I kept thinking “What if people don’t say anything or even boo me.”  I sort of get carried away when I think about things sometimes.

The morning of the 4th Linda and I drove down to the parade staging area and met up with all the crew from NIC.  Our ride hadn’t arrived so we mingled with Mike, Julia and Rayelle Anderson and met a bunch of new people including the new NIC President and his wife.  Time ticked away and more and more participants showed up.  Finally around the corner east of us came the most beautiful 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible.  Both Linda and I simultaneously asked “Is that what we are riding in?” and of course the answer was yes.
Our transport pulled up to the curb and we met the driver.  Linda and I talked with Mike about the car and we found out that we had a lot in common.  Mike was a life guard at the city beach prior to when Linda and I worked there.  He was also a local, so we knew many of the same people.  It was fun figuring out the connections.

 We loaded into the car and when our time came we launched into the flow of the event.  Sherman Avenue was packed with people shoulder to shoulder.  As we idled down the street people on both sides that we knew yelled our names.  Linda had kids and parents shouting “Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. Bennett”, and if we weren’t hearing that we were hearing a mix of “Deano”, “Deaner”, “Dean”, “hay Bennett”.  It was a blast, much more fun than we expected.  We both thought it was one of the greatest things that we have done in a long time.

Funny thing was that when we passed the numerous bars along the route, we heard mostly my name.  It would seem that most of the folks I know hang out in bars.  When we passed the Eagles there was a loud chorus “Dean”.  It sort of shows you a little glimpse of my sorted past.  Odd, I am not a member of the Eagles.





No comments: