Thursday, November 02, 2017

Plumb Evaded Me

The last two days I have been fishing in two very different environments. Tuesday, I went out on Pend Oreille Lake, launching out of Farragut State Park, to try to catch that lake's Kamloop Rainbow Trout (Gerrard-strain of rainbow trout).  I went out with Darren Upchurch on his boat and we attempted to fish Frisky Jenny flies, Apex lures, and Rapalas on planer boards.  We used Sidewinders and another brand of small planer boards and I guess they worked relatively well. The lake was in good shape but we only managed to catch one cutthroat trout, which we released. It was fun to try and fish this method of fishing, wish we could have hooked up on a Kam!
Steelheading with Steve.

Early the next day I loaded up with my neighbor Steve Nelson and we drove down to the Clearwater and fished planer boards off the bank for Steelhead. The day was crisp and cloudy, I would call it almost perfect for fishing. For the second day of fishing, I was skunked. That puts my steelhead fishing record at four days without a fish, kind of dismal. It was a fun trip and we were back in Post Falls by 6:00 PM.  I just might have to focus on catching something that I can be more successful with. Do you know if there are any of those Silver Carp that jump into your boat around the north Idaho area?

Clearwater Caddis.

No comments: