Sunday, September 06, 2009

From Eddies To Martin Stadium

Friday morning, I was in my office and reading my emails. The computer beeped and an all campus announcement popped into my in box. I opened it and scanned the contents and at the bottom of the note it said that I could win two tickets to the WSU Cougar football game if I replied first. I hit reply and typed in “did I win?” and sent it back. Within a minute I received confirmation that I could pick up the tickets by noon!

I contacted Linda and she was really excited! We were on our way to the Cougars Vs Stanford football game. In the phone conversation Linda told me that we had been invited out on John and Loretta’s boat for a little fishing and a cruise over to Eddie’s on Arrow Point for dinner. Within an hour, the weekend where we were scheduled to attend only one event had now been filled, pushing the fun factor to a greater height.

Friday evening we met John and Loretta at their boat slip and sat and had a few drinks. We really enjoy these get-togethers with the Sutherlands, the laughs and fun are always something we look forward to. After relaxing in the slip we motored out and John and I dropped two lines down with the down riggers, pulling herring with flashers. We motored out and talked of the various trips we had taken or we had planned, while we washed the bait at about 60 feet. John turned the boat and we headed for Eddie’s at Arrow point wherewe had dinner and enjoyed the sunset. It was a good dinner and a wonderful start of our three day weekend.

By 10:30 Saturday morning we were packed and ready to follow our neighbors; Steve, Jodi and Emily down to Pullman for the football game. Friday, when I got home from work, I asked Jodi some questions about where to park and how to access the stadium and she said they were attending the game also and invited us to join their tailgate party. We followed them down and parked next to their truck in a parking lot where they were meeting their friends from Walla Walla.

The tailgate party made me smile. We parked, and within minutes, both families had unpacked a tailgate feast of hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and cookies. They cooked and ate and put everything away in about 45 minutes and then we were off to the stadium for the game. It was like an army laying siege to a small town and then moving on. Only this was much more organized.

We walked to the new bookstore and looked around, then entered Martin Stadium and split to find our seats. We had great seats, section 4, row 5, seats 3 & 4. Seats 1 & 2 must have been given to someone from NIC that didn’t attend so we had lots of room around us. Linda phoned Bridget Hill and we met her at half time. Bridget and Dennis were there with Dennis’s brother who had given then tickets. They were sitting at the opposite side of the stadium; we would have never met if it were not for text messaging.

Steve, Jodi and Emily were sitting in the end zone seats on the opposite end of the playing field. Jodi visited us once prior to the game and when we left for home at the start of the fourth quarter we exchanged text messages and thanked them for the tailgate party.

The Cougars were losing by a significant amount when we left, and we wanted to get home before dark and let the dog in the house. We really had a fun day at the game and plan to do it again if the opportunity pops up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend! Thanks for sending the pic - I was dancing at a Parrothead party and didn't get it til today. Wish you guys had been here - or wish I'd been there! Hope you do something equally fun tomorrow.

xoxo