Monday, December 22, 2008

Sometimes It Just Doesn’t Work Out

I was so excited about our day of fishing that we had planned, that I even stayed home last night to get to bed early. I packed my day pack with camera, sun screen, pesos, and a couple things for lunch that didn't need to be in the refrigerator. Then I got all the items that I would wear ready and placed by the bed. I set my alarm for 5:30 AM; an hour should be enough time to finish packing the few items I would need.

Linda, Don and Caroline walked into town and picked up a few items from the market. I worked on the computer and talked with Alex a bit. When they all returned Linda surprised me with a couple tamales that she had purchased from a cart vendor. The vendor was known for her tamales and especially for the pineapple tamales that sold out every night. I ate the pork tamales as I worked on the computer, they were real good!


We turned in early and I actually slept very well. I have a hard time adjusting to the warm night air, so sleep sometimes evades me. Don was up a 5:00 AM and hearing him in the kitchen rousted me out of bed. I got dressed and drank some coffee. Don's coffee was a bit weaker that I prefer so I fixed a big mug of Dean's camping coffee and settled in to snack on a Mexican cookie. Geraldo was picking us up at 6:30 AM so I had some time before he arrived.

Geraldo had stopped by the evening prior and we had talked about fishing. He was a bit apologetic about the fishing conditions. He explained that the water was still a bit too warm for the fish to move down from the upper Pacific. The cooler currents had not arrived and so the fish had not appeared either. He was guessing the Dorado, tuna and sailfish were still north in cooler water, but were heading this way. Reports said that a couple Dorado had been caught and that the tuna were off shore, but not really hitting like they usually do. All this was his way of preparing us, so that when he suggested we fish for sierra and rooster fish, we would be more agreeable. Geraldo really does not know us very well, we are the type that love fishing no matter what we fish for. Sierra and rooster fish would be just great for us and catching was not the primary goal, being on the ocean fishing was our goal.

I finished my coffee and walked into the bathroom for my final constitutional before we left. It hit me so fast that there was nothing I could do. Within seconds I was wet in a cold sweat, dizzy, and feeling like I was about to vomit. That fast! I gave it my best shot and I really tried to get so I felt better but after three sessions, Geraldo arrived and Don and Caroline loaded up and I had to let them go. I walked to my bed and crashed for the next four hours.

When I awoke I felt much better. I stayed around the place and played cards with Linda. Don and Caroline did a four hour fishing trip instead of the usual six hour and caught 10 sierras. They surprised us by coming back so early, but they were happy with the length of time on the boat. I felt bad that I couldn't go, when they were out I kept looking out over the water and wishing I was out there. Linda kept reminding me that it was out of my circle of control and that I should let it go. I did and ended up beating her in cards, it now stands 5-3 in Bugs favor.

We got the call from next door to come on over and play volleyball. Linda, Caroline and I climbed the fence and joined the crowd in the pool for about an hour. Don was having a massage from a traveling heath guy, he calls himself "The Healing Man", and it's printed on his cards. As we jumped and splashed, Don got what he calls the best massage of his life. This was the first massage that Don had received by a male masseuse. This gave us some great chuckles at the dinner table as Don tried to play down that fact.

We all went down town to Sr. Froy's and had a great dinner. The talk of the town was once again how empty it has been. We've noticed a lack of tourists. I hope that this down turn in the economy doesn't make the people suffer down here, but then again maybe it will slow the pace of discovery down a bit.

Walking home we talked about friends, and experiences that we have in common. People that we met down in Mexico and places we all have been. The evening was warm and a bit muggy, not much breeze to speak of at all. We readied ourselves for bed and I added a few notes to the blog. I never wonder why we come here, I just know why.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Sorry about the sickness, that happened to Mike when we went down and sorry to say he wont go back, so I have to venture on my own. No worries, I can always just come with you next time!!!!...Just went for a walk with my cleats on my shoes and poles. Great work out...in the snow...which sucks...