Monday, June 12, 2006

Fixin Honey

About two years ago, I really got into Geocaching. I had a friend who liked to get out and search for caches and we had a lot of fun looking and finding many of the caches around our area. To Geocache you need a GPS and you need to be able to get on a computer. On the internet you will find many places dealing with this sport, the one I got involved with was the official site of Geocaching. After you get to this site you find information on the caches hidden in the are you want to search and then you take the coordinates and put them in to your GPS. You follow your GPS to the cache site and search till you locate the cache. Then you sign in at he cache and go home and claim your find on the internet.

All this is done under a username at the internet site. My name is RvrRnr, Linda is Bug and Baka is Baka. I have found over 100 caches and have actually hid three my self, thus the Sunday trip!

When I got into caching I thought it would be cool to hide a couple caches in areas that I thought had exceptional views or were in great areas. So that is how "Honey, I think I saw the Paddler!" came about. This cache has was hidden on 4/24/2003 and has had 19 visits. Sometime in 2004 a anti-cacher found the original box and took it. This spring a cacher alerted me to the fact that it was gone and I needed to fix it or shut it down.

So Linda, Baka and I took the Jeep and drove to the Bunko Road, over the pass to Lake View and then on to the cache. We replaced the box and added some stuff replaced it and made it good again. This all took about six hours. After getting to the cache we continued on along the lake and found a cemetery called the Clara cemetery where we looked at the head stones and tried to figure out a little about this spot. Our travels took us past a campground called Whiskey Point where there are six camp spots four of which are right on the lake. It would be a great spot but getting there would take forever. About 20 miles later we emerged out of the forest at Clarkfork and drove back through Sandpoint to home. Yep a long one but we had a great time and fixed Honey.

No comments: